Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day

It's Father's Day. I have an exceptional father. Here he is:

weirdo

I didn't realize until I was out of high school how hilarious my daddy is. He can always make me laugh. He can make us laugh so hard we cry, but here he is crying on a more serious, wonderful note:

KE8Q7422

They were crying after the wedding, but before the wedding, this is what Daddy was up to:

KE8Q7285

Thankfully, the kid on the left survived long enough to marry me. Now he's survived me long enough...never mind. Back to daddy.

DSC00251

I love the way his eyes sparkle when he plays with my kids. His eyes sparkle the same way when he looks at his own kids. He is a near perfect father. For the record, Joseph looks a lot like he did as a child, so I am hoping that there is some hope that the facial expression of my son will one day morph into the facial expression of my dad. Here's hoping.

DSC00506

This is the most recent picture I have of my daddy. His youngest child just graduated from high school last week. Two days ago she left for Ecuador. Two days after she gets 'home' she will move to Hawaii for college. He was crying today because he missed all of us.

Daddy's devotion to his family is legendary. His routine is set to time. His heart is deep. Really deep. He always gives you his full attention. He is brilliant. He is hilarious. There is not another man like him on the planet. Well, my husband comes pretty close, but that's for another post. I'm crying as I remember him and yet still unable to articulate all the many ways that he has touched me and influenced me. A million things come to my mind when I think of my daddy. A million things that all meld together to put a smile on my face , then it becomes an emotion that brings happy tears to my eyes, and then I miss him. No matter how old a girl gets, I don't think anything can replace a hug from her daddy.

Here's a hug on Father' Day, daddy. You mean the world to me.

No comments: